The worldwide eCommerce retail revenue is expected to cross a whopping $6.54 trillion value within two years (by 2022) as per software outsourcing stats. To leverage this outstanding growth in the e-commerce industry vertical, multiple business enterprises and entrepreneurs are investing in it.
A significant investment in ecommerce revolves around choosing an ideal content management system (CMS). However, do you know what precisely a CMS is? What features are a must for choosing the best eCommerce CMS? The fantastic options you have available out there!
Read this blog to find the answer to all these queries.
What is a Content Management System?
A content management system, also called CMS in simple ABC, is computer software that allows you to create, edit, manage, etc., the website’s digital content without having to gain technical knowledge of coding. When it comes to the eCommerce platform, you will be required to regularly update the item’s detail, features upgrades, promotional offers, etc.
An easy-to-use CMS proves handy in such situations as eCommerce platforms require dynamic changes on a regular note. Based on the development process, CMS can be classified into three main categories which are Open-source, Proprietary, and SaaS CMS.
That was a concise and straightforward introduction to CMS. Let us now focus on the essential characteristics that must be available in an ideal CMS.
Top 5 Features of an Ideal CMS
1. Convenient to Use
The chances are high that you have a working team that is not well qualified with technical IT knowledge. An ideal CMS offers easy-to-use Admin features with a gentle learning curve so that you can easily manage the entire website in no time.
2. Significant Levels of Customization
A readymade CMS is bound to lack diverse and innovative features that are necessary for ensuring maximum compatibility with the business model, core products, features, etc. The chosen CMS must allow significant levels of Customization to fulfill the business needs.
3. SEO Compatibility
Ranking on top of the search engine plays a significant role for a business enterprise to expand, progress, enhance ROI, etc. A well-designed and developed CMS is consistent with SEO friendliness.
4. Support for Multiple Websites
You may want to build a new website for particular products/sections of the website. In such a scenario having a CMS that supports multiple websites is handy for the business enterprise.
5. Defining Roles and Permissions of the Employees
A firm has various employees responsible for diverse tasks and roles. It’s not pragmatic to hand over the entire reign of the CMS to each employee. CMS that allows the users to define roles and responsibilities effectively avoids mismanagement of the digital website.
Having covered the essential features of eCommerce CMS, let us now look at the best available option out there.
Top eCommerce CMS for Active Growth of Your Business
Woo Commerce holds a staggering market share of eCommerce CMS standing at 28.24% as per Statista. It proves as an excellent choice as it offers tons of extensions and themes for free. It offers easy setup and significant levels of Customization. You can hire WooCommerce developers in India to mark an entry into online retailing.
Pros of investing in WooCommerce
- Excellent levels of Customization are feasible.
- Simple to set up and use.
- A large community of experienced developers is available to meet your needs.
- It is updated on a regular note to offer the best to the users.
Cons of investing in WooCommerce
- Woo-commerce requires your website to be in WordPress, which may seem inconvenient.
Brands using WooCommerce: Bata, Henry J Socks, etc.
Shopify has an eCommerce CMS market share of 10.98% as per Statista. Also regarded as an all-inclusive platform, Shopify comes in multiple packages that attract both simple startups and big billion enterprises towards it. Top Shopify developers also offer decent speed and SEO-friendly meta titles, tags, etc., to the users.
Pros of investing in Shopify
- Availability of 24/7 help from a skilled team of professionals.
- It supports the easy development of payment gateways.
- Hosting management is a part of the Shopify plan.
- Readymade templates are available.
Con of investing in Shopify
- 100% customization is not feasible.
Brands using Shopify: Heinz, Nescafe, etc.
Although not a dedicated eCommerce CMS, Wix gets preferred by multiple enterprises owing to its seamless integration of plugins. Wix also offers low-budget monthly plans that can be easily upgraded to premium services whenever necessary. As per Statista, the worldwide eCommerce market share of Wix CMS stands at 4.6%.
Pros of investing in Wix
- The drag and drop feature helps in the creative development of the website.
- Offers Wix app market that ensures easy setup of plugins and extensions.
- It has a commendable speed performance.
- Mobile responsive websites get developed using Wix.
Con of investing in Wix
- Monthly plans of the platform come with advertisements affecting the brand value of the enterprise.
Brands using Wix: Jennifer Lopez, The Grilled Cheese Factory, etc.
Magento is available in both open sources as well as paid versions to the users. According to Statista, this eCommerce CMS has a market share of 3.44% and is preferred by multiple business enterprises due to its advanced features and built-in responsive themes. Magento is suitable for B2B and B2C business models as well.
Pros of investing in Magento
- Offers personalized content for the clients, which boosts the conversions.
- An intuitive and user-friendly content is available to the users.
- Advance management of inventory and orders.
- Magento is renowned for offering websites with high speed.
Cons of investing in Magento
- Magento plans are often more expensive than other competitors.
Brands using Magento: Hermes, Fred Perry, etc.
Like Magento, OpenCart also offers two plans to the users; one is free while the other is paid. However, OpenCart is way more affordable with less expensive offers than most others on the list. With tons of themes and plugins at a lower rate, OpenCart developers are usually the preferred choice for small and medium-scale business enterprises.
Pros of investing in OpenCart
- Defining roles and responsibilities is feasible.
- Allows multi-store management.
- Availability of 14,000+ themes and extensions.
- Multiple payment gateways and shipping methods are available.
Con of investing in OpenCart
- Not a suitable match for eCommerce sales dealing in wholesale.
Brands using OpenCart: tbuy.in, zoomkala.com, etc.
If you are looking forward to running a huge eCommerce business, BigCommerce is an excellent option. This content management system has amazing scalability, and creating brand awareness is also much convenient with the help of BigCommerce. Screen size optimization and unlimited accounts for managing staff are noticeable features of BigCommerce.
Pros of investing in BigCommerce
- It comes with a built-in blog.
- Reliable customer service offered to clients.
- Checkout customization is convenient.
- Reliable speed of the developed eCommerce page.
Cons of investing in BigCommerce
- Expensive option to go for.
Brands using BigCommerce: Skullcandy, Camelbak, etc.
Over to You
That was all about the top 6 eCommerce CMS available out there. Based on your price and features compatibility, you can go for any of them. Top eCommerce development companies in India offer advanced solutions based on your requirements.
Depending upon the business objectives, target audience, etc., they can help you avail of the best option.